I recently added the XStore theme to a fresh install of WordPress 5.1.X.. As per usual, the memory limit was too low the first time I tried to install, so when I attempted to upload and run the setup wizard to make a child theme and download all the template media, it crashed.
I fixed this and made sure that I met all the System Requirements.
Everything seemed fine, I could use the admin backend, edit pages, change settings.. however, when viewing the site, I was greeted with nothing but the header.
Both the body and footer appeared to be gone.
I looked at the source and discovered that there was, one, item in the body (no footer however). The one item was the et-loader.
I dove into this and found suggestions:
1) Enabling and saving the preloader option (this made the header disappear as well), then disabling and saving again (this just took me to the same place – only header visable).
2) “Disable Gutenberg Editor” in WPBakery
3) Install “Classic Editor” as another way of overriding Gutenberg to solve the issue.
4) Manually setting “et-loader” to “display: none;”
5) Disabled all of the installed plugins and turned them on, one at a time. I don’t have many plugins (only the ones marked as “required” during the setup wizard for the theme). Since the demo content relies on WPBakery, when I viewed the site, it was just plain code showing on a page. I went through and enabled one plugin at a time, same “plain code on a page” results. I left WPBakery (knowing it was a big factor) for last and ended up with the same results as I had before; infinite preloader, empty body and only header visible.
Is there anything I am missing? Searching for a few days online and a few more hours of testing just left me with a bruise on my forehead and palm.
I was able to enable debug mode and I was able to see the error on-screen: “Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_convert_encoding() in /home/royalnpure/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mpc-massive/shortcodes/mpc_row/mpc_row.php on line 295”
It looks like it has something to do with the “Massive Addons for WPBakery Page Builder”. I will test out turning it off and then back on to test results.