One of the main reasons was the multi language capability. I followed your emailed and online instruction about how to make the XSTORE a multi lingual site. But I have very bad experience during this procedure.
default language: Hungarian
secondary language: English
I want my customer can select between these two languages.
I did these steps:
1. I installed Loco Translate plugin (you also suggested to do so) and started to translate the xstore theme to Hungarian. I translated 45%, 1054 strings (582 untranslated). I followed the Loco guides also.
2. I changed the site general language to Hungarian.
– I cannot find “language selector” in the XSTORE theme and plugins. In the demo site contained language selector on the header beside the phone number. So I cannot offer my customer to choose between languages.
– the “Products” admin pages in wp_admin was broken: the column headers visually mixed, and the products data are also mixed. There are columns where more than one data can be seen in a row. (I can send you print screen if you give an email).
– from outside of site (front-end) the products cannot be accessed because I always get 404 error instead of single product data sheet after translating with loco to Hungarian the url has been changed. (http://www.nobbymart.com/termek/classic-analog-watch/…in the url “product” has been changed to “termek” after translating in loco into Hungarian.)
– Once I change back the site general language to English than the 404 error problems stopped.
– The structure of Product page remained broken and mixed in admin independently from language settings.
– how can I find and use language selector as you sold XSTORE as a multi language site and you also demonstrate on your site?
– how can I define product description in two or more language because currently I have only 1 field to upload these information.
– there are some page info’s like categories on Shop page which comes not from loco translate but I have to set in the theme widget and so on, how can I add English and Hungarian name to the same field?
– why the Products admin pages broken after the site language has been changed? What is the solution?
– why cause serious problems in XTSTORE functionality when a suggested translation has been sat? What is the solution?
Thanks your answer in advance!
1) Using Loco translate plugin you can just translate theme to another language but it does not allow you to create the multilingual site. If you want to create multilingual site you should use either WPML plugin (paid plugin) or one of free plugins – Polylang, qTranslate. Then you’ll be able to add language switcher and create products, categories, pages for both languages.
2) You can share link to screenshot instead of email. There are a lot of useful tools for this, Lightshot screenshot, for example. Very likely, problem caused by too many columns for your products and there is no place to show all the information you have on your screen, that’s why columns are too thin and high. Try to disable some information that you don’t need there for preview http://prntscr.com/dw9ec9
3) Check the permalinks settings (Settings > Permalinks) after changing your language. Also, make sure that issue appears with our theme only. Go to Appearance > Themes > enable default WooCommerce theme Storefront and check. We are able to help in case problem appears with our theme only, if you have the same problem even with default theme then you need to check WP settings.