404 Monitor throwing up strange 404 errors?

This topic has 9 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 years, 3 months ago ago by Rose Tyler

slippery
    Participant
    January 11, 2023 at 16:03

Hello, found 25 of these 404 errors within Rank Math’s 404 Monitor from different referrer URLs. Trying to make sense of them.

Some are related to my live website and some are related to the old staging website (now deleted).

I have attached a screenshot in the private content area.

Please, contact administrator
    for this information.
    8 Answers
    Rose Tyler
    Support staff
    January 11, 2023 at 16:15

Hello,

Please provide URL and temporary wp-admin access.

Regards

slippery
    Participant
    January 11, 2023 at 19:28

Here you go. Let me know what changes you’re making and please confirm with me first if you think there’s any chance of a site-breaking issue arising since this is the live site.

Thank you.

Please contact administrator
    for this information.
    slippery
    Participant
    January 12, 2023 at 09:34

Hi, any updates on this? The number of errors jumped to 362 items from 25 today.

Rose Tyler
    Support staff
    January 12, 2023 at 11:39

Hello,

We have identified that there is an unauthorized attempt to gain access to your website from different files of your WordPress directory. It seems that the perpetrator is trying to find a file from which they can initiate an injection of code.
    Please note that this issue is not related to our theme and we recommend that you contact your hosting provider to ensure the safety of your website, and to check for any vulnerabilities that may be exploited by malicious actors.
    Additionally, we recommend that you contact the support team of the Rank Math plugin as they have previously dealt with similar issues, you can refer to this link -> https://wordpress.org/support/topic/404-monitor-log-2/
    Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, and we will do our best to assist you.

Best Regards,
    8Themes Team

slippery
    Participant
    January 12, 2023 at 11:44

Hi Rose,

Thank you for getting back to me. Are you absolutely certain an unauthorized attempt was made? If so, may I know how you were able to find out since this is a major issue.

Rose Tyler
    Support staff
    January 12, 2023 at 12:09

Hello,

We have reviewed the links present in your 404 monitor page and have come to the conclusion that these links were likely not typed by a casual customer by accident. The links in question, such as https://yoursiteurl.com/feed/atom.xml or https://yoursiteurl.com/feed/security.txt, do not appear to be logical inputs for a casual customer.
    We agree with the aforementioned thought and suggest that those links are being generated by some other means. To further investigate this issue, we recommend consulting the official documentation of the Rank Math plugin, specifically the article on monitoring 404 errors, which can be found here: https://rankmath.com/kb/monitor-404-errors/.
    Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, and we will do our best to assist you.

Best Regards,
    8Themes Team

slippery
    Participant
    January 12, 2023 at 12:14

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. I have already reached out to RankMath and the hosting provider but in the meanwhile is there anything else I can do to ensure the safety of our website?

Those 404 errors are continuously increasing.

I have logged out of my own admin account and changed the password. Shall I force log out all other admins? Anything else that can be done?

Edit: Please look into the private content area.

Please contact administrator
    for this information.
    Rose Tyler
    Support staff
    January 12, 2023 at 15:15

Hello, Slippery,

According to our “Item support includes & Item support DOES NOT include” information – https://prnt.sc/s3BnNCg5x70K , which can be found in the screenshot provided, we do not provide support for non-bundled and not mention 3rd party plugins.
    We have provided you with some thoughts and directions on where to raise your questions and who to ask for answers about them. Please contact your hosting provider with the questions you have raised before. Additionally, your question about an “Unknown file in WordPress core” is not related to our theme or plugin as it pertains to WordPress core directories.

We appreciate your understanding of our support policy.

Regards,
    8themes team

• Viewing 9 results - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The issue related to '‘404 Monitor throwing up strange 404 errors?’' has been successfully resolved, and the topic is now closed for further responses

We're using our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience and our website. Keep on browsing to accept our cookie policy.